At AskNicely we love TV dashboards and this guide is the easiest way to get your TV dashboard up and running. The coolest part of this guide is that you can also add other web dashboards to this solution with very little effort using a dashboard looper.
- A TV with an HDMI port
- An ASUS Chromebit which plugs into the HDMI Port
- Logitech K400 wireless keyboard with trackpad
You can purchase the Chromebit and Logitech keyboard from our Amazon shopping list here.
We do not recommend using a Smart TV, there are far too many limitations with how the browser displays content, embedding external websites in an iFrame so the content can be looped. We also encountered lots of issues when smart TVs went to sleep and would not load the dashboard when they woke.
UNBOXING & SETUP YOUR CHROMEBIT
The Chromebit is a microcomputer that plugs into the HDMI port of your TV.
It runs Google's Chrome OS which makes running TV dashboards a breeze.
The Chromebit comes with a flexible rubber HDMI extender, I attached this and connected the power cable.
Lastly take the small USB dongle that come with your keyboard and plug that into the end of your Chromebit, then turn your keyboard on (power switch is around the back).
Now lets get your Chromebit up and running.
- Plugin your Chromebit to HDMI 1 on your TV.
- Grab the TV remote and select HDMI 1.
CHROME OS SETUP
You should see the Chromebit booting now, the first screen searches for a keyboard and mouse. If you haven't got two green ticks on this screen, simply hit a key on your board and now it should work. (see image below).
During your setup the system may do several things.
- It will want to connect to your Wi-Fi so it can access the internet.
- It most likely will want to update it's firmware, click yes.
- You will also need to sign into your Google account or create a new one to use for ChromeOS.
ChromeOS should now be up and running and you can see the a few icons in the task bar bottom left. From here we need to add a special Chrome extension to your browser, this will allow us to embed both the AskNicely TV dashboard and dashboards from other websites. If you don't install this extension you will simply see a blank white page : (
- On the TV, open up the Chrome browser and head over to Google WebStore https://chrome.google.com/webstore and search for "AskNicely"
- Install the AskNicely Dashboard Assistant by clicking the "Add to Chrome" button top right.
RUNNING THE ASKNICELY DASHBOARD
We are nearly there, lets get the AskNicely dashboard up and running.
- On your TV, in Chrome, login to your AskNicely account.
- On the dashboard page, hit the TV button top right to launch the TV version.
3. Full Screen - Hit the 3 dots (top right) > then the square shaped icon
Here is a photo of our test dashboard up and running.
Congratulations, you are now setup. Lastly take out your phone and take a photo, and send it to us at email@example.com
AskNicely Slideshow: You can configure a slideshow by clicking on the drop down next to the TV button:
It will take you to this next screen where you can add in links from the AskNicely TV or other Applications to create a slideshow that changes however many seconds you'd like it to change.
Changing the Filters: To change the AskNicely Dashboard and what is showing, click on the triple bar menu in the top left corner of the AskNicely TV screen:
It will provide you with the following options:
- Saved Filters: For any saved views/filters that you've created on the normal AskNicely Dashboard
- Period: Defaults are 30 days, 7 days, 24hrs. If you want to expand that, in the start of the URL you'll see: https://jarvis.asknice.ly/tv/day/30/any. Change the 30 to the number of days you wish to see, hit enter and it will be so.
- Leaderboard: Allowing you to select one of your custom data points to view.
- Hide empty responses: If there are any scores with no comments, this will hide them from AskNicely TV.
- Hide names: If AskNicely TV is being shown in a public place, it can be a good idea.
- Hide email addresses: 100% I would hide this if it is being shown in a public place
- Enlarge responses text: Doubles the size of the font
- Dashboard Title: You can customize what you want the Dashboard to say! As you can see below I changed the title to "Jarvis AskNicely TV". The default is "Real Time Net Promoter Score".
AskNicely TV is available for ALL users for those accounts that are Professional and above.